Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Well, that was not fun.

Warning: If you don't want to hear me bitching, stop reading now.

Anyways, today was my first group presentation. For the past week, I've been hardcore working on figures and slides for my presentation with Fred. The presentation was rescheduled twice before today.

First of all, Fred drove me *nuts.* I spent at least a good 20 hours in total with him coaching me over my shoulder. Despite repeated attempts to get him to back off. He corrected my acknowledgments, for goodness sake. I told him that he was hovering. I told him that my tolerance for it was incredibly low. And he just wouldn't stop. (I don't mind corrections and help---I mind you trying to dictate each word of the presentation.) I got so frustrated that I went and cried in the bathroom twice, which is only something I've done when dealing with the world's most frustrating class.

Secondly, after getting up early to go practice in lab/make some last minute changes, my PI had to reschedule for later today and so texted Fred. Who did not tell me. Until 30 min before I was supposed to give the presentation. Which led to another 3.5 hours of him dictating changes to me.

Third, PI showed up right before the presentation. Explains that family emergency occurred and she'll have to miss the presentation.

I gave the presentation to the lab and our collaborators. Got a rave from Fred about how I did, which is cool. (Though I did make him promise to buy me a beer or let me punch him. He chose to buy me a beer in the future.) Giving the presentation to PI with probably just Fred present tomorrow after orientation stuff ends in the afternoon. (Orientation tomorrow---yay/yikes!)

The only really cool part was that a few of my project ideas were raved about by a collaborator who I talk to a lot (he's on campus and we use his equipment all the time) and he thinks I should totally follow up on these ideas. :)

But ahhhhhhhh. What a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment