Thursday, September 2, 2010

Orientation approacheth!

Things have been going pretty well here. Still getting along with labmates, still getting along with roommates, still working my ass off for the two different grad students with barely overlapping schedules, and still trying to make friends with other incoming first years.

Orientation is starting in less than a week...crazy times.

My group meeting presentation will not be occurring this week due to my PI taking a spontaneous family vacation, but it's been pushed back to early next week. Still flipping over it (Fred thinks this is funny. I don't).

I might get to head back to my undergrad and visit this weekend, so I'm excited about that.

Ran into a potential PI yesterday, which wasn't surprising as I was using his lab equipment. What was surprising was that he actually remembered me from the interview weekend. Our exchange went something like this:

PPI: Hey, don't I know you?

BOTR: Oh, uhhhh, yeah. We met a while ago at interview weekend! I'm working for CurrentPI for the summer.

PPI: You were the one who worked for MyPostDocAdvisor, right? You should come work for me on SuperCoolMetalloprotein! We just submitted a paper on it and I really want someone to start working on SuperCoolMetalloprotein since my grad student on it is graduating soon.

BOTR: *proceeds to geek out about paper, terribly embarrassing herself in the process*

I have a feeling that the decision between my current lab and this lab isn't going to be easy to make...the choice between the dueling metalloproteins! CurrentMetalloprotein is pretty nifty too.

Also, I should stop feeling so flattered that PPI wants me to work for him. It's definitely only because I already worked on SuperCoolMetalloprotein.

1 comment:

  1. It's also because you're (a) obviously damned good and (b) good grad students are worth so much more than they are paid. He has a labor shortage, and you're *high quality* labor, are offering your services cheap, and unemployed.

    ReplyDelete