Saturday, September 18, 2010

Blast and hell.

It's hard to be mad at someone who is SO EXCITED to see you.

Yup, that's right---I'm in UndergradCity, doin' lab stuffs. Long day of GSULab, drive, and UndergradLab. Tomorrow I will be in my old lab in the wee hours of the morn and will likely be there until the late hours of the night. And then driving back to GSU in the wee hours of the morning.

Saw Lab Mom. She nearly ran into another car and parked possibly in the worst manner you can when there are 3 empty spots in front of you so she could jump out of the car to give me a hug. Yeah, my irritation disappeared pretttty much instantly. And then she bought lunch for me and the poor undergrad who is now in charge (and who is forced to put up with me for the next 24 hours so I can train her), so any last bits of anger faded when she showed me that she *actually* wrote up a manuscript (her "I'm totally writing up a paper" bit lasted for a year before I figured out that she was just using it to motivate me). In fact, she's written two manuscripts. And both have my name! My baby paper has me as second author after herself (she writes the whole thing/has some of her sabbatical experiments in the paper) and the other paper I'm sitting at third. Not bad.

And then she emphasized that she's prioritizing these experiments now. Which is nice to hear---I mean, it would have been a lot better if she prioritized it months ago. But at least she's prioritizing it now.

But yeah. She's even planning on trying to see me before I leave at 7 on Monday morning, asked about my life, and made me feel like she actually misses me in more than a "I wish I had you as my student still because you work ridiculously hard" sort of way.

This is why you need an "it's complicated" facebook-style status for your research advisers.

No comments:

Post a Comment