Saturday, September 11, 2010

Quick post.

Ok, I really want to go put my laundry in the washing machine (damn you, 8am-10pm laundry room hours) and go for a run before I go to my baseball team's game in GSU city, so this will be fast.

1. Orientation has started! My classmates seem cool. I like most people so far.

2. I've been getting a lot of people (mostly guys) coming up to me and remembering who I am. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to remember their names. This makes me think that I am somehow memorable. According to a guy friend, it's probably due to the fact that I am: a) approachable (who knew?) and friendly and b) not in the large pack of women that seems to have formed. The cliques can be broken down into biochemists/organic and physical people who like biomolecules (mostly men), women who aren't biochemists (a fairly large group), and international students. I've talked to people from all 3 groups, but I mostly have been around the biochem group.

3. Placement exams are over! I'll find out the results on Tuesday. As long as I passed 3 including biochem, I should be ok. Even if I didn't, then I just have to take classes. Which would be sad, but meh.

4. Meeting with CurrentPI went pretty well yesterday. Apparently Fred told her I did a good job, which is nice. It (unsurprisingly) went from me presenting to her coming up with brilliant ideas.

5. Asked if CurrentPI would write me a letter/let me do a proposal on my current work for NSF, and she said yes. Also agreed to let me extend my first rotation into the first official rotation. (So sorta like the "let's move in together" relationship talk. As compared to when I'll be asking a PI to join the group...the "let's get engaged" talk of grad school.) Now I just have to dig up a letter of rec from Lab Mom and BigWig I worked for in Summer 2009.

And I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment