Friday, June 18, 2010

Thoughts on Public Transportation

I've been using public transportation (alone) since I was 13, which isn't particularly long compared to most hardcore public transportation users.

While I was on the bus yesterday to get to the DMV, my mind started to wander. You see, some of the big reasons that I have not gotten my license are:
1) The thought of driving used to flip me out when I was younger.
2) I don't mind walking around 2 miles to get places.
3) I don't mind public transportation to get me within those two miles.
4) Public transportation and walking are pretty cheap as compared to the cost of owning and driving a car (most of the time). I do admit that it takes a lot more time than driving.

But above all, my thoughts on public transportation are that it really exposes you to both the worst and best in human beings. (This post was inspired by a really nice bus driver that let a mom and her daughter on for free.)

I've spent three of my summers taking a bus for at least an hour (one-way) and a bunch of more infrequent uses, which gives me a good amount of time on public transportation.

I've been hit on (same with every other woman from the ages of 13-35?), argued with, mocked, groped, heard arguments, and been on buses with drunk/disorderly/obnoxious/violent people. However, I've also made friends with bus drivers that stopped when they saw me running for the bus, that let people on for free, had conversations with really lovely people, and people that paid for other people's fares. To be sure, most of the time I only have an average experience.

And while I really like trains more than buses due to the speed, you definitely see more of this on buses. I don't think my future possession of both car and license will stop me from taking PT---a bus is a great way to learn the area for a reasonable sum of money. Though a car will definitely be easier for groceries.

Anyways, I suppose it's a moot point since I need a car to get from our new apartment to GSU (especially for lab hours). Two things I've learned on PT: 1) if you have your nose in a book, you don't get hit on as much and 2) bus drivers really appreciate a quick "Thank you." (I've made friends with a lot of bus drivers that way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment