Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Supersense.

No one's stopping me! Book review time. This will be short since I have to get back to apt hunting online (weeee).

Supersense, a book by cognitive psychologist Bruce Hood, covers the development of human belief in the supernatural world.

I liked it, with a few exceptions.

First of all, he got stellar reviews from all of the people who he quotes in the book. Which is fine. But when you're surrounding these other scientists quotes with "so and so's fantastic study" and "Dr. Fantastic has this interesting study" it's a little sketch.

He also writes his book in a very different way. Dr. Hood talks directly to his audience, posing tons of rhetorical questions. It's a little odd.

Dr. Hood writes a very appealing book. However, I never really got into it. I don't know why. I thought I'd enjoy the subject. To be honest, it's probably related to the fact that I never really warmed to psychology. Especially studies that involve babies. They just seem rather odd to me. For example, to show that babies will imbue human characteristics into non-human things, they set a baby on the floor and moved a hat that was attached to a little robotic component that the scientists were controlling. When the hat beeped, the baby made noise. When the hat moved, the babies moved.

Yes, this gives more evidence for some point. But whose idea was it? This book has a tons of studies that are similar in the "baby studies" nature.

I'd give it a 3/5. Not too bad, not too good. Read it if you have some time to kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment