Monday, June 21, 2010

Balance? What balance?

Ever since we signed a lease, I've been thinking about what things I'd like to do once I move to GSU.

Obviously, I'll be balancing classes and research. And TAing after the first quarter.

And then there's the mental health aspects: my running (hopefully going to do my first half marathon in the next six months!), keeping in touch with friends, keeping up the LDR, keeping my family in the loop, and making new friends.

But I'd really like to start volunteering again. I miss doing it. I didn't get to do it much in college other than doing fund-raising for organizations---which is fun, and it's nice to know you're doing something, but it's not my style of volunteering. I graded a science fair at a local school this past spring, and I realized that it was something that I'd missed. Interacting with the kids was fun, and I loved using my scientific background to benefit someone else.

I'm going to wait several months and see how busy I am, but I'd really like to spend an hour or two a week tutoring. I found a few different organizations that I could do this through, so here's hoping that I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment