Thursday, October 14, 2010

First month is officially over.

First month of real grad school (not just me researchin') is over. The classes and research balancing has been...fun. Yeah, fun. That's definitely the word I'm looking for.

Tomorrow's plans:
Wake up super early (I define "super early" as before 6. Don't judge). Clean room more. Get into lab. Pour gels/concentrate not purified protein. Go for run. Meet with adviser for next rotation. Check gel. Purify protein. Meet with current adviser. Purify protein more. Concentrate down proteins. Do first experiments to *hopefully* see super cool thing that I thought I'd try on the last week because I wanted to. Go for a beer with labmates that are sad to see me go. Probably do homework stuff for awhile. Go pick up former roommate at airport. Go home and clean up the stuff that I no doubt forgot. Make food for potluck for wedding reception that former roommate and I are going to on Saturday. Collapse, drool on self, and not get enough work done.

I am pumped to see former roommate. She's in her second year of grad school and therefore has the "dude, I know what you're going through and it'll be ok" attitude. And she's very excited to meet the cat.

Well, the making friends part has gone surprisingly well for me. Way less difficult than the beginning of college.

And running's been really nice---I get outside, I hangout with Running Buddy, and we just did an 8K.

Grad school's good, just tiring. I'm not sure how fellowships are supposed to fit into this mess of work. We have so much classwork/rotation based work as compared to the people in other chem divisions. They have to TA now instead though, so I can't complain. They just don't have as much classwork and aren't currently in labs (they pick next week).

Sorry, apparently too tired for a coherent, logical post today.

No comments:

Post a Comment