Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dealing with a frustrating mentor.

Lots of work, lots of lab, lots of fellowship stuff.

Running has helped with stress. But apparently, not enough.

I flipped out at my mentor on Friday. Like screaming at him. Essentially, I'm tired of him never taking responsibility for *his* actions and pinning it on me. Usually, it's never anything big. But it was sort of a straw that broke the camel's back moment. I yelled that I wasn't his mother or secretary at the top of my lungs, added a few curse words, and left the room to cool down. The really bad part was that it was in front of a few lab mates.

Luckily for me, my lab mates thought that it was a) deserved and b) funny (I got a few high fives). So even if I exploded, they don't think I'm psycho. Unfortunately for me, Fred thought it was also funny. He explained later that it was funny because I'm not a particularly intimidating woman (5'3" and 125 lbs doesn't really cut it) and that it would have not been ok if I was "a tall, muscle bound man." I did apologize, because I NEVER yell at anyone. EVER. But I'm still so angry with him because he makes these sexist comments just to needle me because I do react. And to be honest, I know that he's trolling me and just thinks it's funny when I get upset.

But I can't stop getting upset. Of the things that irritate me, sexist/racist/homophobic/etc. comments win. (Then it's inefficiency. But that's another blog post and a half.) And even though I know he's doing it *just* to piss me off, I can't control my horror/disgust/anger.

The biggest problem is that I both like him and hate him at the same time. I know he's actually a pretty good guy at heart, but he can't stop the bulls**t and I can't stop getting pissy. And he has been a good mentor in general. (In fact, I may be getting onto another paper. And I will admit, that while 75% of that is my own hard work, probably a good 25% is because of the fact that he's been setting me up for projects that might work/have a payoff rapidly and then fighting for me to be on the paper.)

Anyone have advice other than the pretty obvious "stop reacting to his trolling"? I'm really losing it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment