Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Lab homesickness.

So I'm in lab still. Rapidly approaching another 13 hour day (f****** protein purification days).

And a terrible case of lab homesickness has swept over me.

I miss undergrad. I miss my lab. I miss my Lab Mom. I miss my friends. I even miss the model organism that I used to work with.

And most of all, I miss being independent.

My grad student mentor has been sick for the past two days, so I've been by myself/working with my other grad student mentor. But the terrible thing is that while I've really enjoyed the "freedom," I hate that this isn't my project, so when I screw stuff up, I feel like a terrible human being. These aren't my materials/time to waste, this is his protein and his time, even when he's not here.

I feel like I wasn't really meant to get here. There was clearly some sort of mistake.

I'm now convinced that I'm going to try my damndest, but that I won't be able to do it. I won't get my PhD, I won't get a good postdoc, and I'll never be able to teach.

I admit it---the fact that the chances of me ever getting a tenured position are so slim gives me this bleak outlook. And it breaks my heart. I really want a position where I can have my own lab/teach. My happiest daydreams are when I'm thinking about what I want to study in *my* lab someday.

I'm just so terrified for the moment where someone discovers that my effort/passion for the field doesn't measure up to my talent. And it's bound to happen sometime soon.

2 comments:

  1. You literally can have no idea how many people have felt this way, with regards to "wasn't meant to be here...won't be able to do it...someone discovers...doesn't measure up. Take the set of all scientists. Subtract the megalomaniacs and a55hats. Now you have a good guess. Most of us have dealt with this off and on our whole careers.

    It's called the Impostor Syndrome.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

    "This syndrome was thought to be particularly common among women who are successful in their given careers, but has since been shown to occur for an equal number of men.[2] It is commonly associated with academics and is widely found among graduate students.[2]"

    You're gonna be fine. Now get back to work! You think those proteins are going to purify themselves?!?

    ReplyDelete