Sunday, February 20, 2011

Crashing and burning.

I'm feeling burnt out. I can't give 100% to each aspect of grad student life still, and I'm not really even getting any time where I can be less stressed.

I do take at least one day off a week where I do less work. I refuse to go into lab at all on that day, and usually just grade or do homework + one fun thing (yesterday I went to a museum with the boy). I'm falling behind on my running schedule hardcore due to a slight injury/constant working. And lets be honest, it's more due to the constant working.

I'm hoping that it gets better soon. But since this irritating quarter system means that I have a repeating cycle of one week without midterms and then two weeks of midterms, not likely. I'm mostly looking forward to classes being done with (unless a fellowship requires me to take more) at the end of next quarter. TAing continues until this time next year.

Ok, here's hoping for less pointless, time-wasting experiments this week to make me feel better. There's nothing more discouraging than making slides for the weekly meeting with the boss and seeing how few experiments I actually did, let alone how little worked.

Missing my undergrad friends hardcore today. That one's not going to change anytime soon though.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! Grad school definitely has those times of ridiculous intensity that push one to the edge. It's good that you're taking one day a week away from the lab, even if you do end up doing some work-related stuff. If you can, take a weekend or even a day to just do something fun, leave all the research/TA/class stuff alone. When I was reaching my limits, I found that a little break like that could do wonders for recharging my mind.

    ReplyDelete