Monday, February 28, 2011

Advice: Don't get really sick when in grad school.

So I got ER-level sick on Wednesday. This led to me taking Thursday and Friday off. And getting little to nothing done on either of those days. (I am back to 100% now.)

But you know what? That's ok.

I talked this over today with a fellow first-year labmate and while he asked me if I felt guilty about getting less shit done (yes), we both agreed on this fact: I have 4.5 years of grad school left. It's ok for me to take two days (yes, I did go in both days of the weekend) off. There is plenty of time left.

Also, people are very helpful when you use the phrase "medical emergency." The prof I TA for found me a substitute, the prof I owed a take home exam to gave me an extension, and my boss was completely understanding.

1 comment:

  1. Good lesson to learn (the part about 2 days). In fact, in the long run even a week or a month isn't nearly as long as it seems at the moment. I learned this between health and family issues in grad school. You absolutely have to take care of yourself first, otherwise you're not getting things done in lab or anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete