Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sentimental Moments

I had lunch with my thesis advisor today. It started out as a "Biochemist on the Run wants to know what she can do to get our paper out" meeting, and she clearly wanted to hang out after we were done. So we went to lunch. I realized that she really, really is my lab mom.

We sat outside for at least a good hour or so, just talking and enjoying the weather. I really have been so lucky to have her as a mentor. While she can have her moments of crazy (just like every mentor), in the end, she's a wonderful role model and example of who I want to be. She's incredibly hard-working, and possibly the most humble person I have ever met, despite her ridiculously long list of accomplishments. Even after working in science for many years, she is always optimistic and believes the best of her students. She has encouraged me for the past 2.5 years, and today (for the first time), we discussed my development as a scientist. We discussed her high-school age daughter, we discussed her husband, we discussed my parents.

Man, I'm going to miss her. She'll be my lab mom forever.

Speaking of sentimental moments, it's time to go to my last TAing of ochem lab (potentially ever!) as an undergrad. I'm going to miss my wombats!

How is your relationship with your first lab PI? Do you still keep in touch?

No comments:

Post a Comment