Sunday, March 28, 2010

Picking A Grad School

I've now narrowed down my grad school choices to two places. I'm torn. Seriously torn.

Place 1: Good school, but an up and coming program that has just recently been accepted as a good place to do science. While I have a fair amount of other people I want to work for here, I have a guaranteed in with the prof that I think is likely to be a superstar someday (but who knows, right?). In the last few years the program has been able to place people into some amazing postdocs, but there are only a few people who have gone onto a TT position. Awesome stipend.

Place 2: Top ten in biochem. I have the same amount of profs to work for here, and probably liked the grad students here slightly better. Less awesome stipend and more expensive area. Great record of placement into amazing jobs in any setting.

Essentially all of the other factors are equal.

Does ranking matter in academia if you get an awesome postdoc? Does it mean more to work with a superstar or get your degree from a top ten?

Any advice or feedback would be amazing. I'm driving myself nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment